Public Service and Politics
- State Representative, House Seat 24, Idaho Legislature, appointed,
July, 2008 , by Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter; elected in November,
2008 with 65 percent of the vote to represent Twin Falls and Owyhee
Counties. Serving on Committees on Environment, Energy and Technology;
Human Resources and Commerce; and Education.
|I've been pleased
to serve three terms on the Idaho Capitol Commission, which is
restoring our premier public building. The restoration opening,
scheduled for early in 2010, will show off the beauty of our elegant,
century-old Idaho State Capitol.
- Executive Committee, Twin Falls County Republican Central Committee,
- Precinct 24 Committeeman, Twin Falls County; won 82 percent of the
vote, 2008 primary.
- Idaho Republican Party, State Committeeman, Twin Falls County.
- Idaho Delegate, 2008 Republican National Convention. Selected as one
of 6 at-large delegates.
- Campaign issues consultant for several successful Idaho legislative
campaigns: Jim Patrick, 2006; Fred Wood, 2006; John "Bert"
Stevenson, 2006; Terry Kramer, Twin Falls County, 2006; Cathy Roemer
and Charles Howell, Jerome County, 2008; Sharon Block, 2008.
- Conservative politics, values and editorial positions on state public
Business and Professional
- Retired media executive, now runs Stephen Hartgen & Associates,
regional media relations, public policy, and business consulting firm.
- Executive director, Business Plus, economic development, Magic Valley,
|I enjoy working with
other state leaders to meet Idaho challenges. Here I am with Rep.
Maxine Bell, co-chair of the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee.
- Community relations consultant, China Mt. Wind Project, Twin Falls
- Twin Falls Chamber of Commerce, chair, economic issues forum, 2007-present.
- Twin Falls Chamber, former board member, vice-president.
- Southern Idaho Economic Development Organization, founding board member.
- Regional Publisher/Editor, Twin Falls Times-News, 1982-2004; 225 employees,
- Founded Magic Valley Ag Weekly, premier local agriculture magazine
for farming and ranching; wide contacts in Southern Idaho agricultural,
dairy and ranching communities.
- Former board member, Southern Idaho Livestock Hall of Fame.
- Former vice-chairman, Idaho Assn of Commerce and Industry, 1996-2004.
|Linda and I were privileged
to attend the Republican National Convention in September, 2008
in Minneapolis, where I was one of 32 Idaho delegates.
- President, Idaho Allied Dailies, state newspaper association, 1995-2005;
- Graduate of Amherst College, (BA) Brandeis University, (MA) University
of Minnesota (Ph.D.) American History.
Civic, Community, Personal
- Three-term member, and 2008 acting chair, Idaho Capitol Commission,
restoring Idaho's capitol building, 1998-present.
- Named annually one of Idaho's "100 Most Influential" civic
- Governor's Committee on Educational Funding, 2001; Idaho Supreme Court
Media Committee, 1994-2004; Idaho Attorney General's Committee on Criminal
Justice, 1990; Rotary; Kiwanis memberships; numerous civic involvements;
member, Filer Baptist Church; avid fly fisherman.
Idaho resident since 1982; spouse, Linda, a Filer native, is the former
Twin Falls County Clerk and is currently trial court administrator for
the Idaho 5th judicial district; we have five children.